Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Miss Georgia Week: The meaning of "Has-Been"

This week is Miss Georgia week, and for any "Has-Been" who has competed in the Miss Georgia pageant, it's a very exciting time. "Has-Been" is the term a former pageant competitor uses to refer to herself when it comes to pageant talk. I know - it really is it's own little world. (Picture right: Miss UGA 2010)

Most people who know me don't hear me speak of my pageant days very much. That's because even when I competed, I never felt like I was your stereotypical pageant girl. I loved competing and really did want to be the best, but I also had other hobbies and focuses that I committed myself to. I was always very aware of the stereotype and never wanted anyone I met to have that preconceived notion of me.

At the same time, I am very proud of what my participation in the Miss Georgia system did for me. I learned extreme work ethic and focus....I worked my butt off when preparing for Miss Georgia!! I gained interview skills and expertise that I carry with me to every job interview and always walk away feeling great about my presentation. I reached a level of confidence and self-understanding that some people don't reach in a lifetime. I learned how to fix my hair and apply my makeup so that it actually looked good. I met brilliantly talented people and developed relationships that I will cherish for a lifetime. All good things in my book!

Photo credit: Blane Marable Photography

I've been out of the game long enough now that there are no girls that I competed with still competing. However, I enjoy watching the pageant to see girls who were teen queens all grown up, still chasing their dream and competing for the Miss Georgia crown. I also watch the pageant every year just to see the fabulous new gown designs by Gregory Ellenburg. He's the best in the business, and I'm always in awe to see what he designs for these ladies. Here are some of my competition pieces that Greg created:

One lady's life will drastically change on Saturday night when she takes on the job of Miss Georgia (I can't tell you much about that though because the judges never gave me the chance for the job - Ha!). Many other ladies (who I can identify with!) will leave with life experience, pageant memories, exhaustion, and a few new friends.  I dare say it's a feeling and experience that never leaves you...it's ingrained in "us" (us being a collective term for pageant Has-Beens).

(That's me - 3rd on the left being recognized as Top Ten in 2010)

It takes all of a half-second for me to reignite the emotions felt during my competitions at Miss Georgia. There is so much pressure, preparation, stress, anxiety, excitement, and passion working at the highest levels during that time, all you can hope is that you hit your peak at the right time for the judges to notice! After that, welcome to post-pageant depression - we've all been there too. It's a real thing. But don't worry, it goes away eventually.

Headshot credit: Deelite Photography

One thing that does stay with a Has-Been for life is an appreciation and respect for any girl on that stage - because as a former you KNOW what they have put in to get on that stage...and it ain't easy. You also know that there's no one like "us"....only a pageant girl (Has-Been or current) understands a pageant girl. So, my hat tips to all of the girls competing this week. It is an awesome experience that will impact you for the rest of your life. I'm excited to see who our new Miss Georgia will be! If you're interested in watching, the pageant live streams on WRBL starting tonight at 7:30!



No comments:

Post a Comment